(Professor; Ph. D)
PhoneTel:886-4-2473-0022 ext 12322
Interests in Research
Gene expression and gene action control largely cellular properties and behavior, which in turn determine the processes of an organism’s development. Mis-regulation of gene activity or malfunction of the genes can result in abnormal development or even disease formation. Model organisms have been providing good bases for understanding the mechanisms of development and disease pathogenesis. We have been studying the pathogenic mechanisms of trinucleotide repeat diseases using transgenic C. elegans and mouse models. Currently we are using zebrafish and cell culture models for investigation of gene regulation during vertebrate development. Two main molecules studied are the novel homeobox gene, irxl1, and the splicing regulator/RNA binding protein, muscleblind. By antisense morpholino knockdown and overexpression techniques, we hope to reveal the function and mechanisms of the genes by dissecting the upstream/downstream molecular pathways that they participate in.
Publications (at most 7 publications in recent 5 years)
- H-N Chuang, K-M Hsiao, H-Y Chang, C-C Wu and H Pan*. 2014. The homeobox transcription factor Irxl1 negatively regulates MyoD expression and myoblast differentiation. FEBS J. 281: 2990–3003.
- Y-L Lin, Y-J Tsai, Y-F Liu, Y-C Cheng, C-M Hung, Y-J Lee, H Pan and C Li*. 2013. The critical role of protein arginine methyltransferase prmt8 in zebrafish early embryonic and neural development is non-redundant with its paralogue prmt1. PloS ONE. 8(3): e55221.
- J-K Yu#, H Pan#, S-M Huang*, N-L Huang, C-C Yao, K-M Hsiao, C-W Wu. 2013. Calcium content of different compositions gallstones and pathogenesis of calcium carbonate. Asian Journal of Surgery. 36(1):26-35.
- Pan H*, Lin Y-J, Li M-W, Chuang H-N and Chou C-C*. 2011. Aquatic toxicity assessment of single-walled carbon nanotubes using zebrafish embryos. J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 304: 012026.
- Tsai Y-J, Pan H, Hung C-M, Hou P-T, Li Y-C, Lee Y-J, Shen Y-T, Wu T-T, Li C*. 2011. The predominant protein arginine methyltransferase PRMT1 is critical for zebrafish convergence and extension during gastrulation. FEBS J. 278:905-917.
- Hsu R-J#, Hsiao K-M #, Lin M-J, Li C-Y, Wang L-C, Chen L-K, and Pan H* 2011. Long tract of untranslated CAG repeats is deleterious in transgenic mice. PloS ONE. 6 (1).
- Wang L.-C.#, Chen K.-Y.#, Pan H.#, Wu C.-C., Chen P.-H., Liao Y.-T., Li C., Huang M.-L., and Hsiao K.-M.* 2011. Muscleblind participates in RNA toxicity of expanded CAG and CUG repeats in Caenorhabditis elegans. Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 68:1255-1267. 68:1255-1267.