Welcome to the Department of Biomedical Sciences at Chung Shan Medical University. Establishing in 1997 from realizing the significance of life science in post-genomic era and training for future basic science researchers with biomedical background, we have since developed and expanded rapidly as one of the first of its kind amongst universities in Taiwan. Currently, we have over 370 undergraduate and graduate students and 18 faculty members with PhD degrees from the most prodigious schools in Taiwan, United States, and United Kingdom. Our graduates enjoy a virtually 100% placement rate either going on with advanced graduate study or working in the biotechnology companies.
The faculty members in this School have continuously been funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) and Ministry of Education with a sum of twenty million New Taiwan dollars per year for outstanding research and teaching.
Our mission is to serve the community through discovery that expands the realm of knowledge in the basic and applied sciences, learning through education and the dissemination of scientific knowledge, and engagement through the exchange of scientific skills and understanding. We enhance scientific education and research through involvement on and beyond the campus, utilizing the most advanced technologies. We broaden and deepen the educational and research climate by increasing the diversity of our faculty, staff, and students. Promoting diversity is essential both to society as a whole and to the University. A diverse and scientifically educated citizenry is crucial to create and fill the scientific and technical jobs of the future. We believe that an understanding and appreciation of our differences enhances our ability to live and work together.
- We emphasize the importance of fundamental knowledge.
- We encourage learning from modern relevant areas.
- We stress lab/practice work to develop good attitudes and skills for research.
- We train for independent thinking and communicative competence by group reporting and literature discussion.
- We provide inter-disciplinary programs such as Bioinformatics, Molecular-Medical Technology, Drug Monitoring, and Biotechnology in Health Preservation, as well as a Five-year-BS-to-MS program that allows studying only 5 years for two degrees (a B.S. and an M.S.).